The Magic 18

Jenna Vandyke

Carter Vanderhoff smiles for a great picture.

Simon Terpstra, Staff Writer

The magic 18. A time where teens officially enter the stage of adulthood and are free to roam the real world. Turning 18 opens so many doors allowing young adults to walk right through. The pressure is on you and it is time to start growing up. However, this age is a prime time in life for young adults to experience total freedom and to develop valuable friendships.

“I would go to the casino,” said Colin Seaver ‘21. Wishing to hit that special number is on the minds of many high schoolers. Attempting things that you were once not allowed to is the main reason 18 year olds go about this business.

“Vaping legally and buying cigars,” said a classmate. Turning 18 allows for the legal buying of smoking products. Many new adults will hit the party store on the first day to get a glimpse of what it is like. Having this authority gives a feeling of power to an 18 year old.

“I would sign myself out of a school,” said Colin Macritchie ‘21.  This is a privilege that is received when you turn 18. This is just one plus for students without summer birthdays. If you do not feel like going to school, you can just leave without anyone saying no. Just know that Age of Majority paperwork must be filled out and signed by a parent. Now, do not let this get out of hand. There are plenty of repercussions to be paid.  But, how often do kids really use this?

“I have never signed myself out of school,” said Winenger. Signing out is still is still allowed for students because kids do not really abuse it. It is part of being a responsible adult.

“Lottery tickets and the responsibility,” said Grant Winenger ‘19. His favorite 18 year old privilege is the same as many others. Scratching off your life savings for a chance at the big bucks gives a risky but exciting feeling that young adults are hungry for. At the same time, 18 year olds are now responsible for every action. Keeping these balanced is the recipe for a fun, yet successful adulthood.

On a serious note, turning 18 has some roles that can not be skipped. Registering to vote is a key element to the success of our economy. Turning 18 allows 18 year olds to vote in our elections and decide who should lead our country.

“ I have also signed up for the draft,” said Winenger. Any male that turns 18 must sign up in the United States in the case that there is a need for more troops. It is actually a law, and if you do not comply, jail time will be sentenced. Paperwork can be filled out online and sent to the Selective Service office, or can be found at the post office. As of now, there is no draft currently occurring, but a way to arrange troops is a national security benefit.

As many are still waiting and will not see it during highschool, turning 18 is a special time. Our seniors are beginning to hit this milestone, and there are still many to come. Use this time to live it up, but do so responsibly. You made it.