The Trojan Torch

Midterms for 2018

Back to Article
Back to Article

Midterms for 2018

Mackenzie Clark is excited to vote for the 2018 Midterms and have her voice heard.

Courtesy of Mackenzie Clark

Courtesy of Mackenzie Clark

Courtesy of Mackenzie Clark

Kayelee Marshall, Staff Writer

Uggghhhh. Boring politics. Who cares what happens? Just get the pesky ads off of my phone screen and the dramatic commercials off of TV, right? Actually, wrong. These elections have a definite effect on your life, although it may not seem like it.

Most recently were the 2018 midterm elections, where seats in the House of Representatives and the Senate were up for grabs, along with the governor of our state and several others.

The Democratic party lost in the Senate this election, resulting in 47 democratic seats while the Republicans hold 53. However, democrats were victorious in the House, now holding 234 seats while the Republicans hold 198 seats.

These results mean that the Senate and the House may experience back and forth pull on new and old legislative issues. There may be a struggle facing President Trump as both the Senate and House have to approve a bill before it is sent to him.

Those who are anti Trump might be happy that he will get less done in his presidency.

“I am very happy about it because it will lend more balance for our government,” said teacher Jane Kostanko.

Jane is a democrat, but she is not a complete Trump hater.

“He has done some good things but I just wish he would shut his mouth and stop tweeting. He says too many rash things. I think the economy is doing well right now though,” said Kostanko.

Teacher Scott Cool also agrees.

“I support the Democratic party and I love it. I think we need the checks and balances so it’s nice to have the other party. It’s going to be hard for one party to push through their beliefs so it will be good for our country,” said Cool.

An unbiased opinion comes from Tristen Sanderson ‘20 because agree fully with either party.  

“Honestly I think Democrats are more likely to get stuff done in the house, however I don’t think much is going to get done because the republicans have a lot of power still,” said Sanderson.

However, this will aggravate many Trump supporters throughout the rest of his presidency, he will fight to get anything done.

“I don’t like it because now there is conflict between powers and progress is going to be static for the next two years. I am a republican and I support Trump. Make America Great Again,” said Joe Farho ‘20.

“You’re always going to have Democrats and Republicans working together but I don’t think anything is going to get done,” said Kristen Quertermus ‘20.

Politics are going to get very interesting in the next two years with all the conflict between the parties.