SAIL Summer School

Emma Balkema

PHS students are going to “SAIL” into summer and get better prepared for next fall. Summer Adventure in Learning, also known as SAIL is what is replacing summer school this year; it can also be used to catch up on credits or if you would like to advance in your classes. This is going to be available for grades 8-12.

June 7 there will be a Zoom meeting about SAIL; if you have any questions, you can find the link on the PCS website.

If you are going in person, classes will be taught in the computer labs, and free for all current PHS students. There is a virtual option available for $150 for the first class and $50 for additional classes.  This virtual option is only available for students that pay tuition and are taking classes that are extensions to learning (not credit recovery). 

There are going to be two sessions, both with math teacher Tim Rieman overseeing as principal. The first is June 14 through July 15 with the week of June 28 off. Session two is from July 19 to August 12. Students will attend classes Monday through Thursday from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. as Friday is an independent remote learning day. 

Lunch will be provided for everyone from 11 to 11:30 a.m. in the cafeteria.

SAIL will have all normal courses that there would be during a normal school year. At the end of each session, there will be a final exam that will have to be taken in person unless students are doing the virtual option. 

With the first session starting three days after the last day of school that will be a really quick transition. Assistant Principal Debra Beals and Principal Jeremy Wright will be in and out during both of the sessions. There will be an administrator in every building throughout the schools.

The high school will be using Buzz and the middle school will be using Google Classroom. All of the elementary schools will be combined but not sure where the location is going to be.  For the high school there will be 20 kids in every lab, depending on the subject.

For example, if you finish the English course you can switch labs to finish another course. Every lab there will be one teacher who teaches that course. There will be 10 teachers in each session to help students. Since you will be in the same computer lab all day there will be no bells. 

Transportation can be a difficult thing for families who have parents that work during the summer and can’t get them to school. During SAIL there will be a bus to and from school. If you signed or planning on signing up for this program, there is a place on the google form to say you will be needing transportation.