NHS Induction 2018

Sarah Roberts, Staff Writer

Last night upperclassmen and their families went to the PAC to join the National Honor Society. Seniors are coming back for a second or maybe a first year in National Honor Society. The new (and old) inductees were called up and given a certificate for their accomplishment of a 3.5 GPA or higher and characteristics of leadership, character, and service for their community. Students might get into college easier by taking part, but why do they really join? It’s important to look at how the student body is encouraged to work hard and join National Honor Society.

Ben Bakaylar was chosen to speak for the students and mentioned how instead of the students studying for impending exams they were at a ceremony.

Libby Mckenzie ‘19, the president of National Honors Society, began the speeches and introduced her peers and their speeches. Seth Woltanski ‘19, Olivia Crandall ‘19, Naomi Delate ‘19, Shaynn Jewel ‘19 all had speeches on the pillars of the National Honor Society.  

Many other inductees old and new had opinions on why they really joined National Honor Society.

“I think it’ll look good on college apps,” said Halli Davidson ‘20. Davidson pulls up the fact that students are joining this club or organization to get ahead of other students for college applications.

“It makes me feel better about myself,” said Misti Bennet ‘19, an inductee from last year talking about how the whole induction made her feel. Boosting pride could be another reason to join the National Honor Society and take pride in your work.

“For the community service,” said Riley Wood ‘19 a senior responding to why she joined the National Honor Society. Providing its own community service opportunities for the society, it helps students complete their required hours.

National Honor Society may give students that extra boost to get into college. Whether it be for encouragement or just academic reasons the society helps students to achieve their best self. The ceremony last night was presented in a formal manner and many students and their families came to support them.